Monday, April 1, 2013

Omelet Muffins

I have to be at work at 7:00 am so there is no time for me to really wake up and fix a breakfast to jump start my day.  In the past I normally have toast or just a banana but this week I'm wanting something a little more than just the usual, so  I made Omelet Muffins yesterday so all I would have to do is wake up, grab a couple of these on my way out the door and heat them up when I got to the office.  You can use any of your favorite ingredients that you have on hand, it's what I like about these because I can use scraps, leftovers, or just about anything in my fridge or freezer.  My husband wouldn't taste them because they contain cheese (I know, he's a cheese hater, can't believe it myself after 10 years!!) so I took a couple to a co-worker this morning who is also going super healthy and GF with his life and he really liked them!  Proud moment in the kitchen....I think so!



Omelet Muffins
Makes 12 muffins

Ingredients:
9 eggs (if using less ingredients you can do one egg per muffin, but since I had so much I used 9)
1 red bell pepper - chopped in small pieces
1 green bell pepper - chopped in small pieces
1 roma tomato - chopped in small pieces
1 roll of turkey sausage - cooked
cheese - shredded of any kind





Directions:
1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2.  Crack open all your eggs and put them in a medium size bowls and whisk them enough to break open the yolks and mix them up, almost like you are making scrambled eggs.
3.  Add salt and pepper to taste or any other herbs you make think of to add.  Whisk the seasonings into the eggs.
4.  Spray a muffin tin with gluten free non stick spray.  Do not use liners in the pans as the egg will stick to them creating a bigger mess than wanted.  Don't worry, they will pop out after you have cooked them as long as you sprayed the pan.  
5.  Pour the egg mixture into the muffin pains filling them about 3/4 full.  

6.  Once all the egg mixture is put into the muffin tins start adding your favorite combinations.  For me this time I did cheese, red bell pepper, green bell pepper, roma tomatoes, turkey sausage, and topped it off with a little more cheese.  The mixture will raise in each muffin tin so be careful not to add to much.  
7.  Place the muffin pan in the oven on 350 degrees for 15 - 20 minutes.  Depending on your oven temperature or extra ingredients it could take a little longer.  
8.  Once they are done you will notice that they are puffed up like a cupcake and firm to touch.  
9.  Allow them to cool for about 15 minutes, notice they will start to fall or flatten out as they cool off, it's ok though because they still look cute and taste great!
10.  To remove them from the pan you can use a fork to lift them out one at a time so that they stay together nicely for you.  


Extra little notes for you:
--To store them - put in a ziploc bag in the refrigerator and reheat as desired.  I heated up 4 this morning and it took 1 minute and 15 seconds in the microwave.
--Left over add-ins can be stored in the refrigerator or freezer for later use in the week so that you do not have to rechop all the ingredients.  





No comments:

Post a Comment